Organized: March 5, 1918
Chartered: May 23, 1918
Key #00009

1917

The preliminary meeting with the organizer working under the Brown contract was held during the early part of September, 1917, at the office of A. G. Goodrich, manager of the Baltimore agency of the National Life company of Vermont. Those present were Harry E. Karr, Arthur Malkin, the organizer, A. G. Goodrich, and two others. Mr. Malkin had come to see Mr. Goodrich at the request of Eugene G. Adams of the Washington Club-both Adams and Goodrich being in the same line of work and the meeting was called by Mr. Goodrich to ascertain whether a Kiwanis Club could be formed in Baltimore.

The next meeting was held at the Emerson Hotel on Thursday, September 20, 1917, after Mr. Malkin had interviewed a number of business and professional men. The original members paid the organizer a fee of $15 each, out of which the expenses of the club were met until the charter was presented. Regular weekly meetings were held on Thursday and the organizer was soon able to announce that the necessary number, 125 had been secured.

The organization meeting was held on November 22, 1917, at the Emerson Hotel, at which there were present 53 members and 5 guests. The nominations committee presented its report and an election was held. Elected officers and directors: A. G. Goodrich, President; Harry E. Karr, Vice-President; Wilmer Black, treasurer; Harold S. Custer, Secretary, Directors: W. W. Emmart, David R. Millard, George R. Bullen, Willam G. Horn, Wilbur N. Vansant, Charles L. Reeder, William W. Norman, Harry W. Classen, and C. Morgan Marshall.

On a motion of the Board of Directors, January 17, 1918, the club voted to reduce the number of directors to 6 and should be divided into three classes, two directors to hold office for 1 year, two for 2 years and 3 for three years. It was further voted that the 6 men who had received the largest number of votes in November should remain as directors. This resulted in Millard, Marshall, Emmart, Classen, Horn and Norman remaining on the board.

The charter meeting was held May 23, 1918, with 74 members present. Roe Fulkerson of Washington, International Trustee was expected to present the charter but was unable to be present. Eugene G. Adams, president of the Washington Club, proved a very capable and acceptable substitute.

The temporary officers were elected permanent club officers and the president and vice-president were elected delegates to the International Convention to be held at Providence, Rhode Island, June 25 - 27, 1918.

1919
President: Harry E. Karr
Secretary: George G. Young
Governor: Alfred G. Goodrich

Vice President William G. Horn, Treasurer Wilmer Black; Directors: A. G. Goodrich, C. Morgan Mart, Howard S. Custer,W. W. Emmart, David R. Millard, Alex. V. Owens.

The club assisted in the Liberty Loan drives, and contributed to the Fresh Air Farm.

1920
President: Karr
Secretary: C. Parker McPherson
Governor: Alfred G. Goodrich

Vice-President Horn, Treasurer Murray W. Tinges; Directors Goodrich, Custer, Emmart, Marshall, Dimling, Dietrich.

We engaged in the following activities: entertained two hundred newsboys at Carnival of Workshop for the Blind, visited 'Boy Scout Camp and treated the boys; established road signs at the approaches to the city; donated to the Boy Scouts two row boats, which were named Kiwanis No. 1 and Kiwanis No. 2.

1921
President: William G. Horn
Secretary: C. Parker McPherson
Vice-President: P C. Morgan Marshall
Treasurer: Murray W. Tinges
Executive Secretary: Howard C. Hill
Directors: J. Thomas Lyons George B. Donaldson
Charles E. Cochrane, Howard M. Taylor, A. Goodrich, Harry E. Karr
District Treasurer: John M. Dimling

The position of Executive Secretary was a new one, the club decided to add a paid secretary to the working force.

The activities of the year included the following: Took part in Boy Week by furnishing some speakers and putting a float in the parade; had the largest delegation at the District convention at Richmond; purchased cigarettes for Fort McHenry soldier patients; launched a campaign to assist the Fresh Air Farm.

Our club was the guest of the Washington Club at one of its meetings.

During this year a sad loss was sustained by the Baltimore Club, the Capital District, and Kiwanis International in the death of Gus Goodrich, first president of the club. Gus had not only made for himself a place of importance in Kiwanis by his untiring activities and devotion, but had also gained the affection and esteem of all those with whom he had worked.

The election of Harry E. Karr, immediate past president of the club, as International President, was a well deserved recognition of his outstanding services in Kiwanis. Under his -leadership a high ideal of ethics and service was set which has been the keynote of its wholesome progress for the past two years.

1922
President: C. Morgan Marshall
Secretary: C. Parker McPherson
Membership January 1 - 243

Other officers are: Vice President John N. Dimling, Directors Charles E. Cochrane, George B. Donaldson, William B. Fallon, Cornelius J. Hamilton, Howard M. Taylor, Merle E. Towner, and G. Frank Young

An advisory committee of past presidents was established, consisting of Harry E. Karr and William G. Horn.

We completed our donation for and dedicated the Kiwanis Dining Hall at the Fresh Air Farm. Paid our annual visit to the Maryland School for the Blind, and took the pupils and teachers for an auto tour. Furnished teams of workers in a drive for three hundred thousand dollars for additional buildings for the Hospital for Crippled Children. Co-operated in Boys' Week and opened savings accounts for nearly one hundred boys. Made donations of clothing to the Prisoners Aid Association and assisted in securing employment for discharged prisoners. Supplied games to recuperating patients at Fort McHenry Hospital.

The club and individual members supplied 75 needy families with Christmas baskets. Offered a reward for the capture of an escaped murderer. Adopted new by-laws and a budget, fixed a limit of 260 to our membership. 35 members attended the Canadian Day celebration at Washington; entertained Kiwanians from the south en route to Toronto and arranged for a President's Special to the International Convention; had a large delegation at the District Convention; took part in Stunt Night and won two prizes.

We extended an invitation that was accepted to the District to hold their 1923 convention in Baltimore. Held two joint meetings with the Merchants and Manufacturers Association. Had Ladies' Night, Father and Son Day, two theater parties, tennis and golf tournaments.

It may give an idea of the care with which this club selects its new members to state that during 1922 we received 63 applications, of which only nineteen were elected to membership and two to transfer membership.

The popularity of our meetings is attested by the fact that we had 1200 and 67 guests during the year.

1923
President: John N. Dimling
Secretary: C. Parker McPherson

Directors were: Charles E. Cochrane, George B. Donaldson, William B. Fallon, Merle E. Towner, G. Frank Young, Randolph N. Dame, Charles F. Feast, Harry L. Price, Howard M. Taylor.

The Advisory Committee of Past Presidents was composed of Harry E. Karr, William G. Horn, and C. Morgan Marshall.

A great deal of the time and effort of the club during 1923 was put into the preparation for the Annual District Convention held October 19 and 20. As this convention has not been held at this writing, a description of our work in this regard must be reserved for some future history.

We appropriated funds to erect a Kiwanis Lodge at the YMCA summer camp; given a prize of a full scholarship in Baltimore Business College; co-operated in Boys Week; made donations of clothing to the 'Prisoners' Aid Association; had Father and Son Day; Ladies' Night; two theater parties. We also began a survey for sponsoring clubs in Westminster, Annapolis and Havre de Grace.

We played a golf match with the Washington Club; a delegation attended an inter-city meeting at Philadelphia; entertained the clubs of Frederick and Winchester. Received a delegation from Frederick bringing the District Loving Cup, and a delegation from this club carried the cup to Wilmington.

1924
President: J. Thomas Lyon
Vice-President: William B. Fallon
Treasurer: Charles R. Ditmann
Secretary: Parker McPherson
Trustee: John N. Dimling
LG: Merle E. Towner

The membership changes: New members 21, died 3, resigned 13, dropped 4-a gain of one

Under the auspices of the Entertainment Committee there was broadcast a Radio Contest which was participated in by twenty-five children from six to thirteen years of age. The purpose of this contest was to inform the public of what Kiwanis was and for what it stood.

65 girls from the Rosewood State Training School, 32 boys and girls from the General German Orphan Horn, and twelve crippled children from the Children's Hospital School were entertained at a matinee at one of the theaters and transportation furnished them.

The club arranged for and established under the supervision of Dr. William Stephenson Baer, a scholarship to be known as the Kiwanis Scholarship for Research Work as Applied to Crippled Children. The cost of the scholarship was $1,500. In a letter regarding the work done under it, Dr. Baer wrote under date of March 3, 1924, as follows:

Dr. Bohlman is working on the problem of light in relation to tuberculosis. There are now twelve children being treated by the light method under Dr. Bohlman's direct control at the Children's Hospital School, and the results, clinically, have been quite striking and in some cases marvelous, as to the rapidity of healing.

The Welfare Committee recommended an appropriation to furnish milk and ice stations of the Milk and Ice Fund with a protein milk which has been found vital in saving the lives of babies during the hot weather. The appropriation having been approved by the club, the committee took up the matter with the manufacturers of this product. The Mead Johnson Co. who donated enough milk, cod liver oil and barley flour, three things vitally necessary to the well being of undernourished children, to take care of the season's needs without using any of the appropriation 1500 Easter eggs were distributed to various children's institutions.

The Welfare Committee found on investigation that the Nursery and Child's Home were attempting to keep sixty children occupied without either the necessary apparatus or instruction for organized play. They therefore provided the necessary playground equipment for both indoor and outdoor use, consisting of swings, slides, sandboxes, see-saws, giant stride, horizontal bars, baseballs, bats, push ball, etc., and cement walks. We also provided an instructor for three months during the summer.

The club remodeled and refurnished the school room at this home, transforming a dull, uninviting room into a bright, cheerful one with proper equipment in which these unfortunate children, none of whom are over six years of age, may be better started on their educational journey. The work consisted of painting, a new floor, blackboard, tables, chairs and sand-box. This work enabled us to secure from the city two teachers, one for the kindergarten and one for the first grade. A new phonograph and fifty records, gifts of Kiwanians, were also placed in the home.

Flowers, magazines, apples, pears, jellies, etc., were gathered from time to time by the Welfare Committee and distributed to different institutions. Positions were obtained for two girls and two boys boys where they could work part time while continuing their schooling. A scholarship fund for Girl Scouts for underprivileged girls was established. Various needy cases were investigated, temporary relief given, and they were then turned over to the proper agencies for attention.

During the holiday season , needy families were assisted by ninety baskets of food and clothing, two tons of coal, and a pair of glasses. Other donations were made by individual Kiwanians.

The Welfare Committee reported allocation of funds for the year 1924 amounted to $3,462.

In addition to the annual Ladies' Night on Washington's Birthday, always a most successful event, an outing for club members was held in August at Cottage Grove Shore which was attended by many of our members.

1925
J. E. Gary
President: William B. Fallon
Vice-President: C. Parker McPherson
Secretary: Charles F. Feast
Treasurer: Charles R. Ditman
Trustee: John N. Dimlin
LG: Merle E. Towner

The following matters were approved by the Public Affairs Committee, the Board of Governors, and the club:

1. An endorsement of the organization of a Community Fund in Baltimore City, and the expression of the hope that all of the City Charities, philanthropic and character building organizations would adhere to and co-operate in a Community Fund.

2. The expression of the club's concern in the conservation of the natural resources of the State of Maryland, and the recommendation of a program of conservation.

3. The club gave its unqualified approval to the initiative of certain of the public press to give less notice to crime and moral delinquencies in their columns and not to use the front page in this respect except in cases of exceptional interest. (These resolutions are set out in full in the District part of this history.-Ed.)

4. All citizens of Baltimore and all clubs and organizations were asked to unite to preserve and perpetuate a zoning law for this city.

5. Approval of an adequate ambulance service for the needs of Baltimore and the endorsing the plan submitted by the Ambulance Committee of the Baltimore Safety Council were given by the club.

The Kiwanis Scholarship for Research Work as Applied to Crippled Children" was again taken care of by an appropriation of $1,500. An additional sum of $1,500 from a private source was made available through our activities.

Doctors Baer and Bohlman addressed the members of the club, telling of the effective work being accomplished through this scholarship.

The committee gave careful and thorough consideration to the need of St. Vincent's Orphan Asylum for a more adequate dining hall and was convinced that the need justified our assistance. Through the interest of an individual Kiwanian an additional sum of five hundred dollars was made available to the committee and our contribution to this cause totaled fifteen hundred dollars, which was sufficient to complete the project. Plans were adopted to place in this dining hall a Kiwanis scroll or tablet indicating the interest of the club.

The completion the previous year of a kindergarten and playground at the Nursery and child's Hospital was so fruitful of good that the committee undertook the establishment of an isolation ward for this institution. The situation was most unsatisfactory at the Home and in event of infectious or contagious disease there was absolutely no way to safeguard the well children. With the financial assistance of certain Kiwanians, the committee constructed a well appointed and adequate isolation ward with plumbing and other essential features. The total cost was approximately eight hundred dollars, of which the club paid five hundred.

Two orthopedic cases were handled by the committee and given treatment, one of them at Dr.Baer's hospital.

A number of requests for assistance received during the year were investigated and were placed in the hands of the proper agencies. Several situations were secured. Fruit, books, magazines and clothing were collected and -forwarded to various institutions.

Automobiles were furnished to transport crippled children to a summer outing and to a Christmas theater party. Sixty-six families were provided with necessary coal, clothing, food or cash at Christmass.

The budget allowance of the committee was $3,500. They spent $4,346, the balance having been subscribed without solicitation by Kiwanians.

The club held its annual Ladies' Night, its River Day, and a theater party.

1926
President: George R. Donaldson
Vice-President: Harry L. Price
Secretary: C. Parker McPherson
Treasurer: Harry L. Price
Trustee: George B. Donaldson
Governor: Merle E. Towner
Sponsor: Havre de Grace Club

The changes in membership with 12 new members and 3 transfers, 1 died, 6 dropped and 11 resigned, a net loss of 3, leaving the membership at the close of the year 233. Average attendance was 53%.

The report of the Public Affairs Committee showed the following activities:

  • The club presented to the voters of Maryland a statement, published as an advertisement in one of the newspapers, urging that the right of franchise is not a mere privilege, but a governmental right and a sacred duty;
  • that the primary election is the road to either a good or a had government, and
  • that it is the plain duty of every qualified voter of Maryland when the choice of candidates is offered, to express by ballot a preference of such candidates.

The club voted not to accept any one as a member who is not a registered voter, provided his legal status entitles him to register and vote.

The club endorsed a plan for the extension of one of the city streets.

The club took part in the District InterClub Day and was well represented at the District and International Conventions. We sponsored a new club at Havre de Grace, MD and a delegation was at their charter presentation. $1,500 was appropriated to continue the Kiwanis scholarship at Children's Hospital School. $1,000 was contributed to Franklin Square Hospital for equipment for an infants' ward, conditioned on the hospital raising a like amount to complete the equipment.

Two or three years previously the Goodwill Industries, one of the Missions of Baltimore, erected a fireproof building, an up to-date workshop, wherein they reclaimed both merchandise and humanity. The roof of this building was. intended to be used as a playground but could not be so used because of lack of equipment. This year the Kiwanis Club provided one-half, namely $400, of the necessary amount, the Mission providing the rest, and the roof was equipped for a playground for the children in overcrowded East Baltimore.

Two orthopedic cases were cared for through the help of the Guild for Crippled Children.

Early in the year a case came to our attention of a young woman, crippled since birth, who was desirous of equipping herself to be self-supporting but without funds. The committee investigated the case and decided that it was one worthy of assistance. A Kiwanian whose business is education was consulted and told of the case. The result was that not only this girl, but eight others, were enabled to learn shorthand and typing and thus fit themselves for positions in the business world. A total of nine underprivileged children received education which if paid for would have cost $2,600. Two additional scholarships were provided for the proper pupils when found. The educators whose generosity made this possible were E. H. Norman, President of Baltimore Business College, and C. J. Eaton, President of Eaton and Burnett Business College. In addition to the above, several free scholarships were offered by Kiwanian C. Felix Witkowski, Manager of the Comptometer School.

About two years ago the Kiwanis Club helped both financially and with man power in an attempt to raise money sufficient to rebuild and relocate the Florence Crittendon Mission. The campaign at that time, however, fell short. The Crittendon directors, of whom the chairman of the Kiwanis committee was one, decided to proceed with its plans for a new building and the renovation of an old one on a new site consisting of two and a half acres of ground. The building was completed and occupied at a saving of approximately fifteen thousand dollars due to the generosity of Kiwanians who gave their services.

Throughtout the year, requests came from various sources for help. Situations were secured for men and boys, families in distress were helped to obtain proper care and attention, and automobiles were furnished for crippled childrens outings.

Eighteen famlies were taken care of at Christmas by the committee, and many others were helped by individual Kiwanians. Many requests for food and clothing were turned over to the Family Welfare Association and cared for by them. We provided clothing and coal in addition to food and paid the cost of a blood transfusion to save the life of a woman too poor to pay for such an operation. $200 was contributed to Red Cross work in Florida.

Spent $3,600 and were instrumental in securing additional funds of $5,500.

Our annual Ladies Night was held as usual on February 22. There were also held a River Day, two Father and Sons Days, and a Family Day.

The club heard many prominent speakers, some from Kiwanis, others from Government circles, both national and local, and others presenting large commercial and business interests.

The first issue of Kinotis, the weekly bulletin of the Baltimore Club, appeared April 22, 1926. W. Reid Hayden was appointed editor, with J. Thomas Lyon, Sidney Greenfield and George B. Donaldson as assistants.

1927
President: Harry L. Price
Secretary: George B. Donaldsen
Trustee: C. Parker McPherson

Organized a bowling league of 6 teams of five members each, to bowl once a week. Held a joint meeting with Washington in Baltimore on April 28. A delegation of 20 attended the District 1nter-Club Day meeting in Wilmington. A delegation headed by President Price and Trustee McPherson visited the baby club, Havre de Grace, and presented them with a bell for use at their meetings. Thirty-one members attended a joint meeting at Frederick on August 31. Entertained the Alexandria Club. Attended the meeting of the 11 clubs of the First Division at Washington. Subscribed $100 toward the National Vaudeville Artists Fund. Appropriated $1,800 to build a modern dormitory, 40 by 60 feet, glass-enclosed, at the preventorium, known as The Miracle Home, conducted by the Maryland Tuberculosis Association at Claiborne, MD. To be known as the Kiwanis Pavilion. We also donated $1,000 to the Salvation Army to help remove the mortgage on their nursery.

The annual Ladies' Night was held, with 441 Kiwanians and guests. Arranged 2 concerts by the US Marine Band held in the new stadium for the benefit of the school children of Baltimore, the cripples from the Children's Hospital and 200 blind children. Present were 30,000 children, State, city and Kiwanis dignitaries.

The second concert was held in the Armory. We held our annual Christmas jollification. There were 300 Kiwanians, their wives and children in attendance.

1928
President: Wilbur Van Sant
Vice-President: Walter F. Kneip
Secretary: George B. Donaldson
Trustee: Harry L. Price
Sponsor Towson Club

On February 22 we held our annual Ladies' Night. On May 24, we celebrated our tenth anniversary, our charter having been granted on May 23, 1918. It was a night meeting with good attendance. A special edition of Kinotis, our official publication, was issued, giving some of the highlights of the past ten years. Claude W. Owen, of Washington, was the principal speaker on this occasion.

19 Kiwanians and their wives attended the International Convention at Seattle.

During the summer the Baltimore and Washington golfers played a series of tournaments. Following each tournament there was a dinner and entertainment with prizes for the winners. Forty-eight Kiwanians were present at a two days' fishing party at Solomon's Island. We held our annual River Day for Kiwanians and their families.

In conjunction with Washington, we arranged for the celebration of the Tenth Anniversary of the formation of the Capital District and 42 of our members attended the meeting in Washington. Sponsored a concert by the US Marine Band for the benefit of Miracle House of the Maryland Tubercular Association at Claiborne, Maryland. 36 members and their wives attended the District Convention at Richmond

Constitution Col. A. W. Woodcock, United States Attorney for the State of Maryland, observed Week with an address. The bowling season got under way on September 27 with 10 teams, a total of 60 men. The wives also have a league of 6 teams of 5 ladies each. At the meeting of October 18, Harry E. Karr discussed the Howard Street Extension and Franklin Street Bridge proposals. The club went on record as endorsing both of these projects to be voted on Election Day.

We appropriated $400 to the Day Nursery of the Church of the Guardian Angel to help pay for oil burning equipment recently installed. $500 to the Salvation Army for purchase of additional property for their Day Nursery. $140 for a radio receiving set for the tubercular children at the State sanitarium. $250.00 for treatment of infantile paralysis cases in Garrett and Alleghany Counties, Maryland where there are no agencies to take care of the expenses of such treatment. $50 for Christmas entertainment for patients at the Green Street Babies' and Children's Clinic.

We sponsored the new Kiwanis Club at Towson.

December 27 was a Christmas Party. 346 Kiwanians, their wives and children were present. Appropriate decorations, entertainment and favors were provided for this celebration.

1929
President: Walter F. Kneip
Secretary: George B. Donaldson
Trustee: Wilbur Van Sant

In January, Rev. John C. Palmer, of the Washington Club, addressed us on Progress and Outlook of Kiwanis. Fifteen members attended the charter meeting of the Towson Club on January 23. Baltimore sponsored this new club. Our Harry E. Karr, Past International President made the principal address on this occasion.

Senator Thomas J. Walsh, of Montana, and Dr. George D. Strayer, of Columbia University made addresses in April. Thirty of our members attended the Inter-Club in Washington on April 29, in honor of International President 0. Sam Cummings.

On June 6, we were host to the Towson and Havre de Grace clubs. Twenty members of the Baltimore Club visited the Hanover, Pennsylvania Club on August 22, playing gulf in the afternoon and attending their meeting at night. A like number from Hanover visited us on September 11. Golf tournaments were also played with Washington and Towson.

On October 7, we held a special meeting for the purpose of greeting International President Horace McDavid and the Past International Presidents of Kiwanis and Secretary Parker. This group of distinguished Kiwanians had been the guests of Past International President Harry E. Karr in a two days' meeting. Officers of the clubs of Washington, Seaford, Manassas, Towson, Frederick and Cumberland were also present.

Some of the activities of our Welfare Committee were as follows:

  • We gave our annual donation of $1,500 to the Children's Hospital School for a Fellowship for Research Work under the direction of Dr. William S. Baer. This fund has accomplished much good in original research work and has lately produced a new method of treating wounds, which, it is believed, will revolutionize such treatments.
  • A committee was appointed to investigate and study the advisability of the club establishing an Educational and Vocational Training Fund. After careful consideration, the committee recommended to the Board of Governors that such a fund be provided and that the sum of $1,000 be set aside as a nucleus for the fund. This recommendation was approved and the committee is working out the details.
  • A number of crippled children were helped, glasses were provided in other cases, and some work done in Vocational Guidance.

An appropriation was made for a Christmas treat for the Babies and Children's Clinic of the University of Maryland. The sum of $500 was presented to the Happy Hills Convalescent School for the purpose of equipping the Kiwanis Dental room. One hundred dollars bought shoes, clothing for the poor children at the State Sanitarium at Sabillsville, Maryland. Our annual Family Day and Christmas Party was held on December 26, with over three hundred Kiwanians, their wives and children present.

1930
Division 6
President: Merle E. Towner
Secretary: George B. Donaldson
Trustee: Daniel S. Neill

The Kiwanis club of Baltimore City Incorporated, during the year 1930, followed out industriously its previous policy of carefully analyzing its work, particularly in understanding the objectives of Kiwanis and applying them through tile efforts of it committees.

In all of the work for under-privileged children the Baltimore club has consistently associated itself with first class institutions or organizations, wherein a direct investment can be made and in such manner as to identify Kiwanis with the accomplishment. This action has very definitely made possible accomplishing a great deal for each dollar invested. Throughout the year one of the outstanding efforts has been that of increasing friendship and good will, a basic investment in human psychology which always brings excellent results.

Our outstanding work is the continuance of the special Kiwanis Fellowship at the Children's Hospital School, Green Spring Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland. This is a great Orthopedic Institution managed by Dr. William Stevenson Baer. Startling discoveries of world wide interest have been uncovered in this institution. This fellowship is $1500 per year.

"The Children's Hospital School," says Dr. William S. Baer, "is under the greatest gratitude to the Kiwanis club for furnishing both money and inspiration to carry on investigations which have led to the discovery of a cure for osteomyelitis, an inflamation of the bone. The insertion of the maggots and flies into the affected bone has," said Dr. Baer, "the effect of accomplishing a cure in about six weeks, changing a horrid, disgusting wound into a perfectly healed and normal member." The annual contribution of $1500 made by the Kiwanis club to assist Dr. Baer in his investigations could scarcely have been more humanely expended. At a congress of world renowned doctors held in Paris recently, at which 27 nations we re represented and 25 languages spoken, the Kiwanis club of Baltimore was, in a series of resolutions, thanked for the assistance it had rendered in discovering a cure for the dreaded osteomyelitis,

Nursery and Child's Hospital, Franklin and Schroeder Streets, Baltimore, Maryland, for Foundlings: repaired playground equipment, linoleum for floor of girls' playroom, 25 aseptic children's hospital beds for infant's department, making a complete Kiwanis room.

The Miracle House Claiborne, Maryland is a tubercular preventoriurn for children. Water toys. Each boy and girl attending the annual Family Day and Christmas Party on December 30th brought a book or game for the children at the "Miracle House."

Kernan's Crippled Children's Hospital: machines and working devices, such as looms, etc., for the vocational work and the play of the crippled children.

Public School Foundation; placement work in public schools-fund to clothe or furnish car fare or hell) and thus keep poor and worthy children in school; Boys' Home Society; temporary housing and care; Babies' and Children's Clinic; University of Maryland Christmas fund; two boys in dire need of outdoor privileges sent to Camp Conoy a YMCA camp for two weeks. Total spent for above activities, $1,144.

Mt. Wilson Sanitorium-Donation to the Sanitorium Library of several hundred very good books collected from members of the Kiwanis club.

The exercise of the franchise is compulsory for membership of the Kiwanis club of Baltimore City Incorporated, and each new member must qualify. During the year at elections regular or special, every member was addressed on the subject and good citizenship was not only mentioned in various communications but used as a basis of one or more addresses. All civic matters of real importance such as loans for buildings for crippled children attending school system and like projects were vigorously supported.

During the year two prominent men, well versed in agricultural subjects, addressed the club. One of them was John A. McSparran, Furnis, Pennsylvania, Pastmaster of the Pennsylvania State Grange, and the other, Dr. H. J. I,. Patterson, Director and Dean of the Agricultural College of the University of Maryland.

Under the able guidance of Kiwanian Rev. Oscar F. Blackwelder, this work was started, the chairman personally assisting in placing a number of young men and women in suitable positions, thus laying the foundation for real activity in the Baltimore Kiwanis club for vocational training and placement work, the future plans including contacts and addresses or lectures of helpful interest to students.

The Business Standards Committee, through an explanatory letter to every member and also by having two fine speakers present the subject, brought before the club the need of real recognition of business ethics, particularly as laid down in Kiwanis.

The Educational Aid Fund Committee is custodian of a fund started in 1929, added to by the club and also added to by one club member, with others ready to do the same, which fund, now $2100, will be used under prescribed regulations to make possible the attainment of finishing of an education where a student is striving for a specific line of work and cannot, without financial assistance, complete the course. A striking, interesting and worthy case, the first one presented, has been handled, and a remarkable, fine young man is continuing his medical profession course. This young man is also partially self-supporting.

The club held annual Ladies Night and Banquet, Saturday, February 12, 1930, Lord Baltimore Hotel. Two hundred Kiwanians and wives present.

The 1929-30 bowling season ended in April, with a banquet and the awarding of prizes. The 1930-31 season started on September 18, with 12 men's teams composed of 75 Kiwanians and sons, and six ladies teams composed of 40 wives and daughters of Kiwanians. Bowling held at 8:15 p. In. every Thursdav. Held 2 interclub bowling meets with Washington Kiwanis Club, one in Washington, one in Baltimore. A fishing party was held at Piney Point, Maryland, to which the Washington and Towson clubs were invited. Visited the Nursery and Child's Hospital-83 members being entertained at lunch and inspection of hospital later. Annual FamiIv and Christmas party-264 members, wives and children present.

Four golf games among our own members, after which dinner was served. Played four games with Washington, two at Washington and two in Baltimore. Four games with Hanover and York Kiwanis clubs, two at Baltimore, one at Hanover and one at York. The weather being so good two additional games were played, one at Hanover and the other at Baltimore. About 30 members took part in the golf activities.

April, an inter-club meeting was held in Baltimore, addressed by LG Arthur G. Wilkinson, Wilmington. Towson had 23 and Havre de Grace had 10 members attend. After the meeting everybody adjourned to the bowling alleys. Two members Roush and George H. Marshall were the principal speakers. May, 20 members attend the District inter-club day at Wilmington. 27 members and guests attended inter-district meeting at Braddock Heights, MD. August , 18 members attend the meeting of Washington club, "Constitution Day." Kiwanian Lamont Hackett, of the Baltimore club was a speaker.

Celebrated Maryland Day at Hollywood, FL. Made necessary arrangements for Governor, Senior Senator, Mayor and President of the Association of Commerce to write letters to the Hollywood club for the occasion. The Baltimore club sent the Hollywood club a copy of Kiwanian Swepson Earl's book on the "Chesapeake Bay Country" for their Public Library. Our Inter-club Committee visited all the clubs in the Sixth Division. Presented the Canadian Flag to the Seaford, DE, Kiwanis club.

The Kiwanis club of Baltimore City, Incorporated, was represented at both the International and District Conventions by two delegates.

Past International President Harry E. Karr, a member of our club, was the speaker during Kiwanis Anniversary Week and reviewed the history of International and of the Baltimore club. A large number of other prominent and interesting men appeared before the club during the year. Among them were: Lucian C. Storrs, Chairman of the Board of the United Railway and Electrical Company; Roy Boush, of our club, who spoke on International Good-Will; A. Howard Johnson, President of the MD State Beekeepers Assoc.; A. H. Young O'Brien, on "East Africa"; Albert C. Ritchie, Governor of Maryland; Frederick R. Huber, of Radio Station WBAL; George B. Stephenson, on "Business Standards Through Vocational Training"; Captain George H. Marshall, of the Salvation Army; Mr. L. H. Dielman, of the Peabodv Library; Count Alfred von Niezychowski, who was second in command of the Kronprinz Wilhelm during part of the World War; Mr. John A. McSparreri, of the Pennsylvania State Grange; Major William D. Tipton, of the Curtiss-Wright Flying Service; and Lieutenant Thomas S. Mulroy, Chief Engineer of the Bvrd expedition.

1931
President: G. Frank Young
Secretary: John L. Whitney
Trustee: Lee D. Mahon
LG: Charles Linhardt

We continued our annual contribution of $1500 to the Children's Hospital for the maintenance of a research laboratory. The sum of $150 was appropriated for equipment in an examination room at the Salvation Army Day Nursery and Baby Clinic, the room to be known as Kiwanis Room. We also contributed for the purpose of supplying materials in the Vocational Department of Kernan's Children's Hospital, and for the annual Christmas party of the Baby Clinic Department of the University of Maryland.

A member personally contributed $10,000 for additional buildings and equipment at the Miracle House in Claybourne, MD. An institution for the care of children in the early stages of tuberculosis. This same member contributed $5,000 for equipment and improvements at the Happy Hills Convalescent Home for children.

A contribution of $438 was made for the installation of a heating plant in a Salvation Army Building. We provided $150 for the purchase of an artificial limb for a young woman.

Our club held no regular inter-club meeting in 1931, but visited all clubs in the Sixth Division. Larger delegations made special visits to Towson and Seaford, as well as being in attendance at the inter-club picnic at Braddock Heights.

The Baltimore Kiwanis Bowling League started its season in September consisting of 14 teams of men and 6 of women. The season ran to May. Meeting every Thursday night with an average attendance of 100. Closed the season with a banquet, prizes awarded, and without cost to the club.

We had a large attendance at Ladies' Night. We were indeed fortunate to have a our guest speaker Roe Fulkerson. At Past Presidents' Day, 11 past presidents participated. "Club Talent Day", the program furnished by club members. Programs on "Romance of Industry" were held each month dealt with 5 large industries.

The Baltimore club prepared and acted as host to the District Convention.

1932
President: John A. Fricker
Secretary: D. S. Neill
Membership January 1 - 195
Attendance 49%

The Baltimore club kept up its activities in Under-privileged Child work and Boys' and Girls' Work, spending more than $2,500 on this work besides time and energy. $1000 was added to the Educational Aid Fund. $1,500 donated to the Children's Hospital School. $50.00 to the University of Maryland Clinic, and $28 spent for shoes and braces for two crippled children.

The club fostered 4-H Clubs of Howard County and put on a Kiwanis Day at the Live Stock Show.

To create serviceable citizenship, the club had programs on Better Moving Pictures, Our Penal System, Cooperation vs. Competition, Chemistry in Regard to Health.

The club urged citizens to cooperate with the President of the United States to bring boarded money back into circulation.

The club sent a large delegation of Kiwanians and ladies to the charter night meeting of the Westminster Club. Had inter-club meetings at Towson and Havre de Grace. Host interclub meetings for Towson, Havre de Grace and Westminster.

Club celebrated the l7th anniversary of Kiwanis. Sent delegates to District and International Conventions and celebrated the fourteenth birthday of the club.

The club observed the Washington Bicentennial with a ladies night. Ended the 1931-32 bowling season with its annual Bowling Banquet. Inaugurated the 1932-33 bowling season with 75 men and 40 women bowlers. Closed the year with a Christmas party and a Christmas Family Party.

1933
President: Lee D. Mahon
Secretary: Dan S. Neill
Membership January 1 - 174
Attendance 48%

The club continued 4-H Clubs of Howard County and entertained members of the 4-H Clubs at luncheons.

Programs of public interest as: World Peace, Government in the NRA, The Golden Rule in the NRA, America's Creed, and others.

Sent delegates to District and International conventions. The club was active in Kiwanis Education, district and international affairs.

Installed officers at Towson and Havre de Grace. Attended membership development meeting at Elkton. Sent 15 members includiing a speaker to the Annapolis Charter Night. Sent a delegation to Wilmington and put on program. Attended an inter-club meeting and bowling contest at Westminster. An inter-club meeting and golf match at York, PA. Carried the "Golden Rule" to Towson. Attended other inter-club meetings at Towson, Elkton, Arlington County, Rehoboth and Seaford. Was also hosted Wilmington.

At the Kiwanis Anniversary Celebration had three 5-minute talks on What Kiwanis Means to Me, and on All Kiwanis Night, had five more talks on the same subject.

On the purely social side the club entertained the Baltimore Ice Hockey team. Held its annual Bowling Banquet with 200 Kiwanians and guests present. Won the championship in the Rotary, Civitan, Kiwanis Golf League. Had a Thanksgiving party at the Howard County Hunt Club and closed the year with the annual Christmas party.

1934
President: J. Ben Robinson
Secretary: Daniel S. Neill
Membership January 1 - 160
Attendance 54%

The club had two programs devoted to Under-privileged Child Work with some children present. A program was devoted to Boys and Girls Work. The 4-H Boys and Girls of Howard County put on a program and a delegation from the club attended the annual Bull Roast of the 4-H Clubs and the 4-H Club Banquet.

The club was host to the 6th Division Meeting, installed the officers of the Towson club and sent delegations to visit Havre de Grace, Towson, Westminster and Morgan County, West Virginia.

Held a Ladies Night, a bowling league, a Thanksgiving meeting with Rotary, a Family Day Christmas party with gifts for the children of Miracle House.

Programs on Kiwanis Education, celebrated Kiwanis Anniversary, Charter Day, All Kiwanis Night and Constitution Week and entertained the International President and International Secretary, the District Governor and LTG and sent delegates to both District and International Conventions.

1935
President: Wilmer C. Carter
Secretary: Daniel S. Neill
Membership Jan 1 - 170
Attendance 56%
LG: Dr. J. Ben Robinson

A program devoted to Under-privileged Children. Paid $250 for a sterilizer for the Nursery Children’s Hospital. Spent $300 for crippled child appliances and bought magazines for the Children’s Hospital School. Through the cooperation of the theatre manager it took the children from nine orphanages to the matinee twice, once 90 children and 185 once. Paid expenses for a talented bov to the Art Institute. A radio was donated to the Chronic Woman's Ward of the City Hospital.

The club put on a Hobby Show with 400 entries. Visited by more than 1200 people. Under-privileged children and crippled children were encouraged to exhibit. Some exhibits were valuable for the rehabilitation programs used for disabled veterans and all were valuable for their relation to interesting employment for the new leisure as well as for vocational guidance suggestions.

The club had a program devoted to the possibilities of Boys and Girls Work. It furnished a judge in the Drama Tournament in the schools and it furnished his transportation. The club secured employment for the son of a deceased Kiwanian, and set aside $50 to take a scout troop to Washington during the National Jambo-ree. Bought tickets for 4-H boys to attend the University of Maryland Field Day and held a Father and Son Night. The club held 2 agriculture meetings where 4-H boys had their fathers and the County Agent as guests.

Delegations from the club installed the officers of the Havre de Grace, Seaford, and Westminster clubs. Delegations visited Annapolis, Dover, Pikesville, Rehoboth, Reisterstown, Towson, and Washington.

Several programs on Kiwanis Education were featurerd. Celebrated Constitution Week . Attended Mid Winter Conference, Division Meeting, District and International Conventions. This year the club furnished the LTG.

1936
President: W. F. Wooden
Secretary: Daniel S. Neill
Membership January 1 - 181
Attendance 62%

Spent $240 for beds an mattresses for the Nursery and Children’s Hospital. $85 for braces for crippled children. Donated $50 to the Red Cross. Loaned money to a student to complete his education. Sent 10 boys to the YMCA Camp. Too 324 orphans to theater. Furnished transportation to orphans to the Roland Park Women’s Club for Christmas entertainment.

Entertained 20 4-H Club boys. Furnished judges for the 4-H Drama Contest and the Committee on Rural and Urban Relations. Attended a Camp Fire Meeting on the 4-H club. Contributed $20 to the Safety Campaign.

Sent delegations to visit Reisterstown, Westminster, Towson, North Baltimore, Pikesville, Annapolis, and Washington. Had joint meetings with Rotary. Held a Bowling Banquet. Sent delegations to the Mid-Winter Conference, District and International Conventions. New officers attended LTG Training school.

1937
President: J. F. Shafer
Secretary: Adam R. Miller
Membership January 1 - 182
Attendance 64%

Spent $1200 to establish a Baby Clinic. Gave 2 Theatre Parties for orphans with 238 at one and 275 the other. Gave 15 boys two weeks at camp. Organized Bowling Teams. Held four Kiwanis Education programs.

Held a Father and Son meeting, welcomed and entertained a group of Boy Scouts from Oklahoma on their way to the National Jamboree, and loaned a student $388 to complete his education. The club made and had printed for free distribution a list of books on Citizenship in the Public Libraries. It continued its efforts to place young men in positions suitable for them and placed several.

The club held one big inter-club meeting at which 31 clubs were represented. Sent representatives to install the officers at Reisterstown and at Elkton. Members of the club made more than 300 visits as individuals to other clubs.

The club organized Bowling Teams, held contests with other clubs and closed the season With the usual Bowling Banquet. It organized a Vocal Quartette which was well received and in much demand by other organizations. The clubs celebrated Valentine's Day and Mother's Day, field a family party and a most successful Ladies Night. Ladies were also present at the Bowling Banquet.

The club field four Kiwanis Education programs. Sent representation to Mid Winter Conference, International and District Conventions, and Division meetings.

1938
President: Waitman F. Zinn
Secretaries: Stuart N. Phillips and Jacob Gross, Jr.
Membership January 1 - 174
Attendance 67%

The club sponsored a lecture, and a concert by the Johns Hopkins orchestra, 2200 from various homes for the aged were given tickets for this concert and carried to and from the concert in cars and buses.

Instituted a Baby Clinic at a local hospital and gave $900. Contributed $150 to the Salvation Army summer camp.

The club fostered and kept in touch with the Red Shield Boys Club. Had a program on juvenile Delinquency.

The club had one program on Citizenship, and obtained a scholarship at the Maryland Institute for a worthy boy.

The Music Committee presented during the Lenten Season before the club and their wives "The Crucifixion" with a chorus of 16 voices. It had two program on the general subject of Public Affairs and other outstanding programs on High Ideals in Business, On Guard for the Community, Government in Business, Good Government, Slum Clearance, The Service of Broadcasting, Maryland Welfare Project-, Criminal justice in Baltimore, City Government, and Americanism.

The club joined in numerous inter-club meetings furnishing the speaker in a number of instances, making altogether 484 individual visits to other clubs, and having as its guests 420 from other clubs, several members flying to Florida to attend a Maryland Day celebration of a Florida Club. It published and circulated a directory showing the time and place of meeting of each club in the Capital District.

The club held a Ladies Night Banquet, celebrated Mothers Day with the ladies in charge, had a Christmas party for members and their families, had a joint meeting with Rotary, held 7 golf matches and arranged a quartette which performed at many inter-club and District meetings.

The club held education meetings, won the Attendance Cup in the Gold Division and was represented at the Mid Winter Conference, the International Convention, the District Convention and the school for officers.

1939
President: W. H. Clifton
Secretary: Robert W. Test
Membership January 1 - 182
Attendance 69%

Spent $200.00 to equip the Kiwanis Library at the Boy Red Shield Club with 500 books and prepared a bronze plaque for the room. It secured quarters in the South Baltimore General Hospital, in which it equipped a Baby Clinic, and a Baby Ward and helped raise $75,000.00 for additions to the hospital. Sent a boy to summer camp and gave a theatre party to 700 orphans and had a Christmas party for kiddies and underprivileged children.

The club had a Father and Son day at which the sons put oil the program. Had a program on Vocational Guid-ance. Then worked with the Boy Scout troop.

Three special musical programs were given with the ladies present during regular club meetings. The same chorus aided in a program known as Victor Herbert’s Day at a Christmas program, an inter-club meeting.

The club received the Fellowship Plaque from Wilmington and delivered it to Rehoboth. It attended the charter night of the Salisbury club. The Inter Club Relations chairman accepted an invitation to address the Clarksburg, W. Va., club at noon and the Grafton, W. Va., club in the evening. Members made 239 visits to other clubs and 304 members of other clubs were guests of the club.

The club was host to the Mid-Winter Conference and the District Convention, held several Kiwanis education meetings, celebrated Kiwanis Anniversary entertained the Lieutenant-Governor and the District Governor and represented at the International Convention.

1940
President: John R. D. Hedeman
Secretary: Robert W. Test
Membership January 1 - 178
Attendance 64%
LG: Dr. Waitman F. Zinn

After careful examination of the conditions at the South Baltimore General Hospital where the Baby Clinic was set up, improvements were undertaken for enlarging and refitting the children's ward this was done at a cost of $7,200.00 giving a new children's ward, redecorated in an attractive way, having 21 beds for children up to twelve year old, a special kitchen attached and a play porch with toys. After its completion the club authorized an additional expenditure for repairing the floor of a small room and for purchasing a wheel chair, a number of the ladies of the club gave a theatre party and raised $252.50 for further outfitting of the play porch.

The club made a survey of the Red Shield Boys Club to see what was needed and found that an addition of from 150 to 300 books to the library would enable it to loan books to the boys. A call to the club for donations of suitable boy’s books was made to which the members of the club responded with 83 books, and some money with which to buy books. The club spent $50.00 to pay the camp fee for ten of the Red Shield boys for a week at camp. It also gave the children at the South Baltimore General Hospital a Christmas party.

Members of the Vocational Guidance Committee had a conference with some members of the City School Board to see what might be done towards furthering vocational guidance in the schools.

Programs of particular interest were given on Student Pilot Training, City Planning, Mexico, Chemistry for the Treatment of Infection, Wild Life, Democracy, The Futility of War and Natural Defense, The Situation in the Far East, The Chinese Situation, Peace in the Pacific, Industry and Defense.

Club members were called in to be guest speakers at other clubs. Had an interclub meeting with 39 different clubs. The club received the Kiwanis Ideals Plaque and delivered it to Reisterstown, delegations accompanied the LTG (a member of the club) on his visits to Reisterstown, North Baltimore, Westminster, Halethorpe and Towson, carried the Mileage Plaque to York, PA, and attended the charter presentation at Ellicott City.

Had programs on Challenge of Kiwanis, Kiwanians in World Affairs. Sent in an Achievement Report. Was represented at the Mid Winter Conference, the International Convention, the District Convention and the officer training school.

1941
President: Claude B. Hellman
Secretary: Robert W. Test
Membership January 1 - 193
Attendance 64%

The club undertook to furnish the nursery and the formula room at the South f3ailtimore General Hospital in connection of the Baby Clinic at a cost of $2,650.00 and to outfit a dental examination room at the Red Shield Boys Club at a cost of $400.00 and spent $150.00 for additional books and magazines for its library. It sent 10 boys to the YMCA camp, and gave $150.00 to Camp Misty Mont, a day camp for underprivileged children. It also bought a Christmas tree for the Marine Hospital.

The club had a program on Citizenship and spent $400 to outfit a recreation room for "Maryland's Own" at Camp Meade.

The club had a program of appropriate sacred music on Holy Thursday; other fine programs were on, Religion and the Crises of Democracy, Conservation Work in Maryland, Education and National Defense, Emergency Education, What Hawaii means to the United States, Flying Bombers to England, The Navy Today, Training for Defense, The Nazi Invasion of Belgium, The Present National Situation, The Preservation of American Democracy, Russia Today, and Physical Education for Business Men.

The club was host to two big inter-club meetings, at one of which the International President addressed 295 Kiwanians and at the other 16 clubs were represented by 300 Kiwanians and the District Governor and the LTG. At the inter-club bowling banquet there were 64 present. Delegations attended meetings in New York, Pennsylvania, Rehoboth and Seaford, Delaware, and Ellicott City, Towson, Taneytown, Westminster, Reisterstown, and Halethorpe, Maryland. One member made a record by attending 156 Kiwanis meetings during the year. Members made 575 visits to other clubs and 747 visits from other Kiwanians were recorded.

Entertained the International President, the District Governor and the LTG, was represented at Mid-Winter Conference, the International Convention, the District Convention and the training school for club officers, and one of its members was elected District Governor for 1942.

1942
President: Charles G. Reigner
Secretary: Robert W. Test
Membership January 1 - 200
Attendance 64%
Governor: Dr. Waitman F. Zinn

The club completed its program at the South Baltimore General Hospital by constructing and equipping the Kiwanis Babies Ward at a cost of $2,500.00, thus bringing to a conclusion a project which has involved an expenditure of $12,500-00. A Kiwanis plaque was displayed at the entrance of the ward. The club appropriated $110.00 for carrying on its work with the Red Shield Boys Club. It continued to work at the dental examining room in South Baltimore, and a plaque was placed on the Miracle House at Claibourn, where tubercular children are treated.

The club sponsored a supper and breakfast at the USO headquarters serving about one thousand men. It contributed $100 to the Governmental Efficiency and Economy Council and $10 to the Safety Council. Members of the club were active in war projects wherever possible. Many programs had to do with war effort and defense. There were programs on Our Civilian Defense, The Eternal Struggle for Freedom, Medicine and the War, London and the Blitz, Building Morale for the Duration, Juvenile Delinquency, The Outlook for American Youth, Emergency Medical Service, Problems of the Coming Peace, Synthetic Rubber, Occupied France, War and Community Needs and China rights on. The club also had an outstanding Lenten musical program.

The club held two inter-club meetings, one on Kiwanis Anniversary, with 300 present, and the other with 18 other clubs. The club furnished speakers for a number of nearby clubs and in many instance several members accompanied the District Governor, a member of the club, on his visits to other clubs in the District. Sent representatives to inter-clubs at Seaford and Dover, DE, Towson, Annapolis, Westminster, Ellicott City, Taneytown, Prince Georges County, Elkton and Salisbury, Md., Washington, D. C., and Charlottesville, Staunton and Roanoke, VA.

Furnished the District Governor, had a number of Kiwanis education meetings, and was represented at the training school for club officers, the Mid Winter Conference and the International and the District conventions, and presented an Achievement Report.

1943
President: William R. Evitt
Secretary: Robert W. Test
Membership January 1 - 203
Attendance 66%

The club sent a number of children to summer camps. Spent $1,000 for equipment of the Kiwanis Ward and nursery in the South Baltimore General Hospital, buying awnings, screens, sterilizers, and nine bassinets.

The club gave $170 to buy books for the Red Shield Boys' Club library, and spent $525 on a library for the Glenn Martin Boys' Club.

A large portion of the club's activities was centered on the war effort. Twice a breakfast and dinner for service men were given, more than 500 served at each meal, $25 was given towards a radio for the recreation of officers at the Hamilton Street Club. $100 was given to the Red Cross, and $100 spent for four sea chests, to be handled by the Red Cross. The club aided in the War Fund drive and other war work. Among the programs given were: The Current International Situation, The 48 Hour Week, Citizenship and Rationing, Prisoners of War, Our Troops in North Africa, Candy in the War Effort, the US Navy, and Socialized Medicine.

Representatives went to Richmond on the occasion of the visit of the International President, to Annapolis at the 10th anniversary of the founding of that club, and to North Baltimore. The club held one big inter-club meeting, at which visitors from fifteen clubs, a total of one hundred and twenty-four, were present.

The club had five Kiwanis Education programs, celebrated Kiwanis Anniversary, US-Canada Week, and Constitution Week, and was represented at the Mid-Winter Conference and the District Convention. Past International President Harry Karr took part in the War-time Conference which was held instead of the International Convention. On December 31, the club had ten members in military service.

1944
President: J. Henry Frick
Secretary: Robert T. Test
Membership January 1 - 225
Attendance 72%
LG: Claude B. Hellman

Spent $200 in organizing a Young Builders Club in connection with the YMCA, $285 for books for three Boys' Clubs, and $100 for an asphalt tile floor for the library of one of them; took care of 648 children in the Kiwanis Chiildren's Ward, and 833 babies in the Kiwanis Nursery at the South Baltimore General Hospital; donated $1,500 to furnish a delivery room adjoining nursery, and gave a Christmas party in the Children's Ward; cooperated with the USO and the volunteer Port Security Forces; provided song sheets for service men in the Aberdeen Hospital; donated $100 to the work of the Navy League; and aided in Bond Sales; contributed to the Baltimore Safety Coun¬cil; cooperated with the work of the Commission on Governmental Efficiency and Economy and contributed $100; carried on an outstanding activity on citizenship, which is described in detail as follows: Spent $500 on the publication of an original 12-page booklet, "The Good Government is to Vote," for use in neighborhood meetings, and furnished cach member with several copies; a demonstration how to conduct neighborhood meetings was given at a regular meeting of the club; a number of members purchased 1000 or more copies and distributed them; then the meet¬ings were held in various neighborhoods, led by members of the club; special meetings were held for women at which they were urged to register and vote; the city became cognizant of citizenship responsibility, and registrations in Baltimore were increased.

1945
President: Wilbur Behymer
Secretary: Howard L. Bradley
Membership January 1 - 223

The club continued support of the Young Builders Club, founded last year, contributed $344 for books and supplies, started Hobby Club; sent boys to camp and paid memberships in the YMCA for 13 of them; continued support of the Boys Club of Baltimore for the eighth year, contributing $166 for new books and magazines; contributed $250.00 to Fathcr Flanagan's Boys Home at Boystown, Nebraska, in support of its activities; continucd its work at the South Baltimore General Hospital in support of thc Kiwanis Children's Ward, Nursery, Sick Babies Clin~c and the Delivery Room, which was completed at a cost of $3,239. The work is under the direction of physicians who are mcmbers of the club, 1,452 children being cared for during the year); a Christmas party was given for these children with Santa Claus distributing stockings and other gifts; served dinner and brcakfast to 827 service men at the US; sent 375 gifts to mcmbers of the armed forces; assisted the Baltimore Safety Council; contributed $100 to the Red Cross; gave support to the Maryland T. B. Association, the Central Civic Association. the Governmental Efficiency and Economy Bureau, and the City Committee on Traffic Improvement; mem¬bers purchased War Bonds and Stamps amounting to $597,012 and took part in all war drives and other worthwhile civic activities.

1946
President: Reginald G. Mobray
Secretary: Howard L. Bradley
Membership January 1 - 224
Attendance 69%
Governor: Claude B. Hellman

The club sponsored for the third year a Young Builder's Club, a group of young boys which holds meetings at the YMCA, for whom the club pays the membership fee and other expenses raising for this purpose $375; made arrangements for the boys to use the howling alleys at Grace and St. Peter's Church Parish House; sent eight boys to the YMCA Camp for 2 weeks each at a cost of $126. "The Way to Good Government is to Vote"; continued its work in behalf of conservation in cooperation with the Uni¬versity of Maryland and forwarding the work of the 4-H Clubs; contributed $512 for swings and other playground equip¬ment to Camp Francis M. Wood, the Negro boys'and girls' camp npnrated by the Department of Public Affairs; expended $195.40 on a Christmas party to 38 children from the Cylburn Home; appropriated $1,550 for the establishment of the playground in South Baltimore; for the 9th year continued its support of the Kiwanis Children's Ward and the Kiwanis Nursery at the South Baltimore General Hospital contributing $7800 for refinishing beds in the Children's Ward; and continued its sup¬port of the Baltimore Safety Council.

1947
President: Howard E. Demuth
Secretary: Howard L. Brad1ey
Membership January 1 - 224
Attendance 74%

The club manned a booth in the March of Dimes Campaign, collecting $364; sponsored the organization of eight neighborhood YMCA Clubs and provided 20 camp days 10 members of these c1ubs at a cost of $735; provided additional playground equipment for the Leadenhall Street playground for colored boys and girls at a cost of $245; continued sponsoring of the Red Shield Club, The Glenn L. Martin Club, Camp Black Rock, and Camp Puh-tox expending over $300 on various projects for these; cooperated with an state and local agencies for the conservation of the state’s natural resources, both on land and in the sea; put on for the fourth year a "Get Out the Vote", Campaign; continued support of the Baltimore Commission of Government Efficiency and Economy, contributing $100 to this work; contributed $100 to American Cancer Society; aided in sponsoring a new club at Highlandtown; provided booklets and Bible "The Sermon on the Mount" placed on breakfast trays of patients of one of the leading hospita1s on Christmas morning; gave special Lenten programs of sacred music on Holy Thursday; to which neigh¬boring Kiwanis Clubs were invited, about 400 attending and special Christmas musica1 grogram to which the same groups were invited; established a trust fund for un¬derprivileged child work, the amount in fund December 31, was $4,050; expended $20,000 in establishing the Kiwanis Pedatric Ward where 1202 were treated during the year and held a party there for 27 underprivi1eged children with an or¬chestra and carol singers from the club and spent on these activities $1,175 inc1uding a new anesthesia machine and an operating light for obstetrical department and a heated bassinet for the Kiwanis nursery, where 880 children were treated during the year; contributed $225.48 for additiona1 equipment at the Leandenhal1 p1ayground; contributed $150 to send boys of the Reel Shield C1ub to camp; had a Christmas party of 40 boys and girls from the Kelso and Strawbridge Homes, and presented gifts to 30 children at the Cylburn Home, total cost $263; and arranged to edit for the School Board monographs concerning various businesses and professions, each to contain the name of the author as member of the Vocational Guidance Committee of the club, the 2 completed this year are The Physician, by Dr. Fred B. Smith, and The Mortician, by William P. W ooelen, 10 000 copies of each being printed and reprints made as necessary.

1948
President: George Y. Klinefelter
Secretary: Joseph S. Knapp
Membership January 1 - 227
Attendance 74%

The club spent $100 for new books and magazines for the Red Shie1d Boys Club libraries, sent 18 underprivileged chil¬dren to the Red Shield's Circus, and a number also to its Minstrel Show, cost $70; provided for the continuation of the YMCA.'s Junior Hi-Y Clubs, $900, and sent ten of these boys to the Baltimore Peace Centre play, and a like number on an historical trip to Gettysburg Battlefield; for the Children's Fresh Air Farm, donated a piano, painted the Kiwanis dining room, and enlarged the swimming pool, cost $950; provided a television set for the Kelso Home, and two te1cvision sets and a library of phonograph records for the Ker¬nan Hospital for Crippled Children; provided a $100 ice box for the Gunpower Youth Camp; sent 25 boys for two weeks to the S. A. Camp, and 15 boys for two weeks to the YMCA camp, and sent 150 boys for a one day outing at the latter camp; manned the Mile of Dimes booth for one day, collecting $400; contributed $400 to the Rheumatic Fever Campaign; prepared entertainment and lunches for 2700 boys and girls of Downtown Week Youth Day; spent the following named sums: $500 for a dish washing machine for St. Gabriel's Convalescent Home, $439.50 for cribs and mattresses for the Children's Hospital School, $258 for cribs and mattresses for the Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital, $50.00 for phonograph records for the pediatric ward at the South Baltimore General Hospital, $175 for a Christmas party for the 335 children in the pediatric ward there, $200 for milk and eggs for needy children, $200 for the Red Shield Club, and $40 for the Boys' Club banquet for their fathers and mothers; and organized and operated the Maryland Committee Against Un-American Activities with a full time paid director, distribut¬ing literature and inserting advertisements in the papers, and broadcasts over the radio, resulting in the passage by referandum of the State constitutional amendment prohibiting individuals belong to sub¬versive organizations from holding public office. $4,174 was raised to take care of the expense of the organization and a balance of $1,337 was left to coninue the functioning of it in the future.

1949
President: J. Walter Turner
Secretary: George D. Penniman
Membership January 1 - 245
Attendance 79%

The club spent $663 on sponsoring and maintaining the Neighborhood J r. Hi- Y Clubs, neighborhood meetings held weekly, and access to the YMCA twice a week; gave $350 for an autdoor basket ball court at the McKim Service Centre; continued sponsoring the Red Shield Club, spending $500 to send 30 boys to Camp Puh-Tok and $129 for books and magazines for the clubs library; manned the March of Dimes booth for two days collecting $612; in cooperation with the Junior Association of Commerce sent 75 Police Club boys to the "Outdoor Sportsman's Show"; spent the following named sums: $564 for beds and bed-tables at St. Gabriel's Convalescent Home, $17 for beds and mattresses for the Children's Hospital School, $150 for a Christmas party for 32 children at the South Baltimore General Hospital, $324 for expenses of parents and child while in Baltimore for an operation (the Bilox, Miss., club paid transportation costs and for the operation), $400 to the campaign fund of Maryland Rheumatic Fever and Heart Association Campaign, $250 for refrigerator for the Fresh Air Farm, $150 to send 12 Red Shield boys to Camp Puh-tok for two weeks each and $100 toward general expenses of the camp, and $60 for the reading fund of public school # 9; took great interest in legislative plans for controlling the tidewater fis hand oysetr situation and in the work of State Game and Inland Fish Commission and had a speaker appear before the local fish and game association on the conservation of wild life; contributed $130 to the Maryland Committee Against Un-American Activities and took great interest in a bill appearing before the legislature, discussing and sometimes recommending action thereon; contributed $100 to the Commission on Governmental Efficiency and Economy; annual membership subscriptions were made to Flag House Society, Tuberculosis Society, Baltimore Safety Council; took part in the Community Chest Campaign; sponsored various schemes for improving the healthfulness and beauty of the city; sponsored a meeting in connection with American Education Week at which public school problems were discussed; and contributed $100 to the American Cancer Society and $140 toward the reactivation of the USO.

1950
President: N. Kenneth Totman
Secretary: George D. Penniman, Jr
Membership January 1 - 255
Attendance 76%
LG: J. Henry Frick

The club contributed $800 to YMCA and Hi-Y neighborhood clubs, mostly used to bring boys to the central Y for workouts and swims; contributed $500 to Red Shield Boys Clubs, to send 20 boys to camp and $150 to buy books and magazines for the libraries of these clubs; celebrated Scout Anniversary, and was able to find suitable places for overnight camp; 37 for Scout Troops; gave a minstrel show, clearing $4,257 for youth service work; increased the Kiwanis Trust Fund, through voluntary contributions from members of the club, by $81-0; made contributions to a youth with palsy to continue his edu¬cation, $100; towards the cost of a dam at Gunpower Youth Camp, $100; to the Fresh Air Camp, for repairs to a building, $100; to the Salvation Army's Christmas Project, $200; distributed 200 tickets to the stadium on the Annual Amateur Day, to the younger boys of the neighborhood clubs; gave students of music a chance to appear before an audience by having them sing at the club luncheons; distributed pamphlets urging the adoption of the recommendations of the Hoover Report; sponsored the Fourth Annual Farm Tour in connection with the observance of Soil Conservation week; contributed money to enable 4-H bovs to attend the International Royal Dairy Cattle Show in England; purchased 14 radio transcripts to be broadcast over local radio station; secured speakers for the open air services of the Salvation Army during Holy Week; placed 1000 copies of the Gospel of Luke, on trays of hospital patients on Christmas morning; secured 100 Bibles for the Maryland General Hospital; contributed $212 for equipment at St. Gabriel's Convalescent Home; on National Kids Day, took entertainment to 395 youngsters in the Happy Hills Home, the Child Study Centre and the Maryland Training School for Boys; as¬ assisted in the formation of a nursery school for underprivileged children, and contributed $100 for paid instruction; continued to sponsor the Children's Ward at the South Baltimore General Hospital, and gave the usual Christmas party to the childeren there.

1951
President: C. Adam Bock
Secretary: Albert R. DeFord
Kiwanis President: Claude B. Hellman

1954
LG: William C. Rogers

1957
President: L. Mercer Smith
Secretary: Leon A. Talbott

1958
President: Robert C. Embry,

1959
President: H. Hicks Obrecht
Secretary: Frederick C. Aumann
LG: Dr. Charles G. Reigner

1960
President: Frank T. von Rinteln
Secretary: Frederick C. Aumann

1961
President: N. Page Wothington
Secretary: Frederick C. Aumann
Frank T. Von Renteln

1962
President: Edwin M. Lockard
Secretary: Frederick C. Aumann

1963
President: C. Read Carter
Secretary: Frederick C. Aumann

1964
President: Rindell B. Stoll
Secretary: Frederick C. Aumann

1965
President: K. Brantley Watson
Secretary: Frederick C. Aumann

1966
President: Foster W. Talbott
Secretary: Frederick C. Aumann

1967
President: John S. Huff
Secretary Rindell B. Stoll
Governor: Frank T. Von Rinteln

1968
President: Norman V. Waltion Jr.
Secretary: Rindell B. Stoll

1969
Presiden: Norman V. Waljen Jr.
Secretary: Rindell B. Stoll
LG: Clyed S. Hartlove

1969 - 1970
President: George Kahl, Jr.
Secretary: Rindell B. Stoll

1970 - 1971
President: Frederick C. Aumann
Secretary: Rindell B. Stoll

1971 - 1972
President: Frederick A. Weiss Jr.
Secretary: Rindell B. Stoll

1972 - 1973
President: Howard K. Thompson
Seretary:mRindell B. Stoll

1973 - 1974
President: Frank H. Thatcher
Secretary: Rindell B. Stoll

1974 - 1975
President: John C. Ruxton
Secretary: Rindell B. Stoll

1975 - 1976
President: John K. Burkley Jr.
Secretary: Edwin M. Lockard

1976 - 1977
President: Nicholas Van Sant
Secretary: Edwin M. Lockard

1977 - 1978
President: Stuart R. Wilcox
Secretary: Edwin M. Lockard
LG: John C. Ruxton

1978 - 1979
President: Stuart R. Wilcox
Secretary: Martin P. Stephen

1979 - 1980
President: J. Carey Martien
Secretary: Martin P. Stephen

1980 - 1981
President: Douglas W. Cassel
Secretary: Richard J. Renner

1981 - 1982
President: Donald F. Murphy
Secretary: Richard J. Renner

1982 - 1983
President: Leslie S. Wilson Jr.
Secretary: David P. LeKites

1983 - 1984
President: Felix F. Tarasco
Secretary: David P. LeKites

1984 - 1985
President: Gary J. Hurley
Secretary: David P. LeKites

1985 - 1986
President: Philip W. Chase, Jr.
Secretary: Joseph A. Esposito

1986 - 1987
President: Clarence Taylor Jr
Secretary: Joseph A. Esposito

1987 - 1988
President: Robert A. Montenegro
Secretary: Joseph A. Esposito
LG: Gary J. Hurley

1988 - 1989
President: Robert J. Thieblot
Secretary: Joseph A. Esposito

1989 - 1990
President: Gary J. Hurley
Secretary: Joseph H. Bosch

1990 - 1991
President: Jeff M. Schumer
Secretary: Joseph H. Bosch

1991 - 1992
Division 12
President: Joseph E. Esposito
Secretary: Joseph H. Bosch

1992 - 1993
President: Clark H. Carte
Secretary: Wayne L. Belsinger

1993 - 1994
President: Glenn L. Klavans
Secretary: Wayne I. Belsinger

1994 - 1995
President: Hurst R. Hessey
Secretary: Joseph L. Farrell Jr.

1995 - 1996
President: Bobby G. Edmondson
Secretary: Wayne L. Belsinger

1996 - 1997
President: Sandra W. Allen
Secretary: Joseph A. Esposito

1997 - 1998
President: Dwight S. Warren
Secretary: Joseph A. Esposito

1998 - 1999
President: Jeffrey M. Schumer
Secretary: Joseph A. Esposito

1999 - 2000
President: Hurst R. Hessey
Secretary: Joseph A. Esposito

2000 - 2001
President: Dwight S. Warren
Secretary: Joseph A. Esposito

2001 - 2002
President: Armond J. Thieblot
Secretary: Joseph A. Esposito
Year End Statistics: 35 Projects Completed, 250 Service Hours, $4,450 Spent, 6 Interclubs

2002 - 2003
President: Purcell Wylie
Secretary: Joseph A. Esposito
Year End Statistics: 37 Projects Completed, 157 Service Hours, $800 Spent, 6 Interclubs

2003 - 2004
President Glenn L. Klavans, Secretary Joseph A. Esposito

Year End Statistics: 6 Projects Completed, 64 Service Hours, $5,600 Spent, 3 Interclubs

2004 - 2005
President: Edward Ranier
Secretary: Joseph A. Esposito
Year End Statistics: 1 Projects Completed,10 Service Hours, $2,500 Spent, Interclubs, 3Average

2005 - 2006
Mason Dixon Region
President: Mary Brady
Secretary: Joseph A. Esposito
Year End Statistics: Projects Completed, Service Hours, $ Spent, Interclubs, Average

2006 - 2007
President: Mary Brady
Secretary: Joseph A. Esposito

2007-2008
President: Michael Schaefer
Secretary: Clark Carter